It was a pleasure as ever to hang with Councillors Guy Lambert (Labour, Brentford) and Sam Christie (Labour, Bedfont) the one who brokered a positive meeting at Transport for London in Southwark yesterday morning. On the way I was unaware I nearly squashed a Pokemon, Pidgey, near the Young Vic on The Cut, SE1, hadn’t a clue, sorry.
Councillors Guy Lambert, Tony Louki and Sam Christie on the 10.44 Hounslow Loop from Chiswick to London Waterloo for our TfL meet
Of mutual interest for the three of us was the continuing saga of house building conglomerate Barratt unable to facilitate uninterrupted service for the 235 at its western terminus, Great West Quarter; crowding on some routes; ability to access West Middlesex University Hospital from all parts of the borough and overall bus reliability in Hounslow.
Positive news is that brand new and latest lowest emission buses will be introduced by when the 235’s bus operations transfer from Abellio to Metroline in January 2017.
Those recalling last year’s consultations on local services may know that TfL still considers the routeing of the H28 and E8 as unfinished business. There was and remains concern that the removal of route H28 from Wood Lane, Isleworth will make access to the West Mid very difficult from as far away as Cranford and Heston. Replacing it with a double decked E8 down Amhurst Gardens would mean the removal of the last of that road’s mature trees. Expect more consultations in early 2017.
Not enough time to cover all the Transport for London issues affecting Osterley & Spring Grove Ward but a number of items were left with our host to consider and respond to, including:
A4 Great West Road junctions
- improving phase turnings at Wood Lane
- improving surface crossings at Gillette Corner
- pedestrian subway safety at Gillette Corner
- preventing eastbound driving on the southside between Jersey and Gresham Roads
- future proposals for this TfL owned stretch.
New Ridgeway Road controlled crossing
- reinstatement of the grass verge
- marking the cycle lane following completion of the recent works
- remedying the northside cycle lane pinch point by pedestrian crossing
- reinstatement of bus stop U Great West Road/Ridgeway Road.
Great West Road at Osterley Library
- establishing short term parking in the layby east from Thornbury Road.
Great West Road environment
- protection and maintenance of verges, shrub beds and maximising pavement widths
- clarifying TfL bollard policy
- managing curtilage hedge encroachments on footways
- cycle lane maintenance and safety
- managing tree growth that impedes cyclists
- TfL’s tree maintenance and planting programme
- maintenance schedules.
Councillor Sam Christie’s notes of the meeting can be found here.
Pokemon Pidgey almost a cropper from my size 8s on the way to TfL
Always happy to hear from residents about local public transport and the Great West Road.