Transport for London says it has “deferred making a decision on the proposed changes to route H28” and “will have further discussions with the London Borough of Hounslow about these proposed changes.”
TfL reports the outcome of last year’s consultation here: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/e8-110-h28 .
The consultation was meant to be about improving routes to West Middlesex University Hospital following the government’s NHS cuts at Ealing Hospital last year. However, a number of folk suspect that it may have also been another austerity cuts exercise, this time with local public transport as the victim.
One of the TfL proposals was to reroute the E8 towards the hospital and to take the H28 out of Wood Lane, Amhurst Gardens and Twickenham Road. This would mean removing bus access to the West Mid from Spring Grove, Osterley and North Isleworth as well as other neighbourhoods in the borough .
- The route needs to go to WMUH – 82 responses
- Wood Lane needs to be served by a bus route – 68 responses
- Generally opposed – 58 responses
- This route is used by a number of elderly/vulnerable people who rely on it to do their weekly shop/get out and about – 56 responses
- Will lose direct, cheap link to Tesco – 43 responses
- H91 is not an alternative route for Wood Lane/Northumberland Estate – 29 responses
- Northumberland Estate is not served by any other bus route and will result in a long uphill walk/walk to get other buses – 18 responses
- Proposal will adversely affect Wood Lane residents taking children to local schools – 13 responses
- Will increase the cost and time of my journey – 13 responses
The current route of H28 is safe, for now but this is probably because there is an election for a new Mayor for London next month and the current do nothing Mayor Johnson would not have wanted this cut in the spotlight.
I have spoken to Hounslow Council’s head of transport and when TfL does have these “further discussions”, I shall ensure that residents are involved and continue to do my best to represent.